Tuesday, September 15

Still Small Voice

I was putting on my make-up for work the other morning and was contemplating how God seems to speak to me at what seems to me to be the most inopportune times, like at 4.30am in the morning when I am trying to go back to sleep, or while I am putting on my make-up when I am running late for work, or at midnight after a very long day and I want to go to bed.

But you know, He can and will speak to us at any time of the day and it doesn’t matter what we are doing. He’s not limited to the times when we are quietly reading the Bible or listening to worship music waiting for Him to talk to us and tell us something profound.

The Holy Spirit is living and breathing inside of us constantly ‘waiting’ to speak to us. When we are so focussed on the matter at hand sometimes we don’t even realise what He is saying or even that He is trying to tell us something. We need to learn to ‘hear’ the Holy Spirit when He talks to us, especially if He is interrupting us in the middle of something. He’s that still small voice that tells you to do something or write something down or don’t forget that but we usually choose to ignore it and keep on with our busy lives. God wants us to make Him our central focus so that He can speak to us at anytime… even at 4.30 in the morning.

A few years ago when I was on a skiing holiday with Craig in New Zealand, I really felt that I should phone my Nana who was living in New Zealand… although not even anywhere remotely close to where we were. I didn’t end up phoning her and my reasoning was that it would cost just as much to phone her from where I was as it would from at home, therefore it didn’t make much sense or difference anyway. So we just went on our merry way and the next afternoon we arrived back to our apartment and there was a message left for me to phone my mum or my uncle…it was in that very instant that I knew. My Nana hadn’t at all been sick and was very active and fit for someone of her age but she had unexpectedly passed away that very morning. You can guess that it was like a huge kick in my stomach when obviously God was so clearly speaking to me the day before.

Even still today I greatly regret not listening to that still small voice but I admit that I learnt an extremely valuable lesson and now more than ever try to listen when I get that niggling feeling.

"And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice." 
1 Kings 19:11-12

No comments: