Friday, October 2

Quiet times...



Early this week I heard a message from a well-known International preacher. One of the points he was making during his message was that we as Christians shouldn’t feel condemned or worried if we have only 4.5 ‘quiet times’ per week because that actually meant that we were like everyone else and we were ‘normal’.

I must admit that I was quite shocked that he was actually saying that it was ok not to spend time with God everyday! What happened to what the Bible says about ‘praying continuously’ and having a relationship with God? The soul purpose we were created for was to have fellowship with God and to have relationship with Him… how can you build a relationship with someone on only 4.5 ‘quiet times’ per week… and how long are those quiet times?

Imagine if your husband or wife came home and said ‘Sorry honey, I have too many other things going on in my life at the moment, I’m going to have to restrict the time I see you this week to only 4.5 times and only 15 minutes at the most. I won’t be able to phone you just to say that I love you or to ask you for help with any problems that I might be going through and I won’t be able to stop and think about you at all and wonder what you might think about my ideas… I’m just too busy’.

If that is what being a normal Christian is about then I don’t want anything to do with normal… I want to be totally abnormal! I want to be one hundred percent sold out for Jesus and focussed on Him all of the time. God should be part of our lives and thoughts all throughout every single day… we need to get rid of the spirit of humanism that is slowing creeping its way into the lives of Christians and the church and become like Jesus. I want the Holy Ghost to speak to me continuously and if that is going to happen, I have to be the one who takes the first step.


James 4:8 ‘Come near to God and he will come near to you’.

No comments: